Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Dinner


I don't know about you but I never feel liking cooking on Sundays. I always want quick meals that don't involve too much chopping and babysitting. More often than not we have pasta because it is so easy to whip up a red sauce and cook pasta.  

Today I decided I wanted something different. I wanted something really hearty and something that tasted like I had slaved all day in the kitchen over. Enter the crock pot. 

We were recently gifted a crock pot and I had yet to take it for a spin. I flipped through our, "Vegan Slow Cooker" cookbook to find a recipe. I landed on the Mix and Match Jambalaya recipe. I didn't have Cajun Seasoning so I made my own. 


I loved how the seasoning layers looked in the jar just before shaking it. 

*Cajun Seasoning: 
1/4 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon ground white pepper
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder


I threw all the ingredients into the crock pot and added a couple of my own (peas, broccoli rabe, and quinoa) then followed that up with a nice Sunday nap. 


The Result: 
The crock pot is my new friend. 

Dinner was a winner.  It took me back to our trip to New Orleans last October. 



Hope you had a great Sunday!




*cajun seasoning recipe (i cut it in half) : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-spice-seasoning-mix-in-a-jar/detail.aspx .  

2 comments:

  1. That meal does look very satisfying indeed. I have a sneaking suspicion I will soon learn to use/love crock pots too. Especially on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crock pots are the best! So nice and easy for great comfort food!!

    ReplyDelete